I know there are tons of websites to get homemade baby food recipes {and really... I could just cook and puree some food and call it good} but my sister bought this book awhile back and loves it. The recipes make enough for at least 2 weeks of meals in only an hour (and many times, way less than an hour)! I couldn't wait to get it and start cooking! So, for now, this is where I'm getting my recipes. :)
I started with Butternut Squash... kinda difficult to cut in half...
watch those fingers (or employ the hubby if he's home). But once it's cut... super easy!
You scoop out the seeds, lay them on a cookie sheet,
and stick 'em in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.
{During this step, your house will smell awesome!}
watch those fingers (or employ the hubby if he's home). But once it's cut... super easy!
You scoop out the seeds, lay them on a cookie sheet,
and stick 'em in the oven at 400 degrees for about an hour.
{During this step, your house will smell awesome!}
When you take it out of the oven, the squash is super soft... scoop it out of the skins,
put it in a blender with some 100% apple juice, and puree!
Next were carrots. SO easy!
I used 1 1/2lbs of baby carrots (they were big babies... so I cut them in half).
Boiled them for about 7 minutes in about 10 oz of water... then poured it all into the blender.
Puree!
I used 1 1/2lbs of baby carrots (they were big babies... so I cut them in half).
Boiled them for about 7 minutes in about 10 oz of water... then poured it all into the blender.
Puree!
Once the food is pureed, you just pour it into ice cube trays and let cool.
When they're cool, cover & stick 'em in the freezer overnight.
The next day you can pop them out and put them in freezer bags. They store for three months.
All you have to do is take out a cube or two, warm them up in a pan or microwave, and enjoy!
When they're cool, cover & stick 'em in the freezer overnight.
The next day you can pop them out and put them in freezer bags. They store for three months.
All you have to do is take out a cube or two, warm them up in a pan or microwave, and enjoy!
While B's still getting used to the taste and texture of solids in his mouth...
he sure does look super cute wearing them!
Linking up to A Step in the Journey: Photo Challenge. This week: DINNER!






That is awesome that you make your own baby food! I hope to do that one day :)
ReplyDeleteI made my son all his baby food like this. You can steam the vegies too once he has more solid food. As he got older I made food for him in large portions and froze them in small containers.
ReplyDeleteGood on you for doing this, so much better for them!