Friday, June 3, 2011

hat making 101...

Well, as I said before, Bryce is 4 months old now... and I'm not sure if it's because his head is too small, or because hat-makers don't know the appropriate size of a baby's head... but I cannot find a bucket hat that fits him. SO - because my first thought is always "I could make that" - I decided to make him one.


Now, before I show you what I made... let it be known that this is the second time I decided to make him a hat since he was born. This picture may explain why my hubby wasn't extremely excited when I told him about my plans to make another. In fact, even though we're strapping for cash since I've been on unpaid maternity leave... he actually reminded me that we could buy one at the store. No faith.


Yes... it was supposed to be a crocheted beanie. Instead he looks like a gnome. Poor guy.


BUT, it had been YEARS since I'd crocheted anything. And I sew semi-frequently... so I figured I could pull this one off.


I started by finding a circle pattern that would fit B's head.... this lid was perfect!




Next, I found a pair of my husbands old camo shorts (and checked with him to make sure I could cut them up!)




Okay, making a bucket hat is WAY more difficult than it looks, without a pattern. Here's my first attempt. I ended up tearing out the brim and redoing it... but now that I look at the picture, I kind of miss this one. It really looks like the modern bucket hats you see on gap.com.




The problem? I used the bottom hem of his shorts for the brim, but it didn't flare out the way a bucket hat's brim usually does. Apparently it's supposed to be rounded, not straight? So here's my final product. I cut the brim out of the shorts material and did a lot more sewing than I had to on the 'modern' looking one. Then I added the belt loops for some detail.




Here's B wearing his new hat.




And here's the B-man's face when I told him about all of the other things I'm going to try to make him.... haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment